4/12/10

God cares about my lawn mower.

I broke my lawn mower.  Or at least I thought I did.  Actually, I just bent the blade (my old roommates would not be surprised by this).  Who would have thought that the lawn mowers of 2010 couldn't cut through a street curb?  It was news to me too.

So, today I bought a new blade.  When I got home, I replaced the old with the new, pulled the gatekeeper handle (that handle you have to squeeze in order to start the mower - it should be called the gatekeeper handle) and then . . . Nothing.

The only sound I heard was the pull starter string winding in and out as I tried to start the engine.  I pleaded with the mower.  I even thought about getting the instructions out to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong (yes, I was that desperate).  And then it hit me.  What if I prayed about my lawn mower troubles?

It sounded silly at first.  But after I put my hand on the mower, prayed seriously for help from God and the mower started, I knew God didn't find it silly at all.  If you still think that my lawn mower prayer was silly, take a look at what scripture says about it - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  (Phil. 4:6).  If God didn't want me to pray about a lawn mower, he would have changed that verse to "but in the major things."

I wish I thought about that verse more often.  I pray for guidance and wisdom in major decisions, but how often do I pray for the little things?  The broken law mowers.  Even today I was desperate for help. It didn't come naturally.

Today, God saw it fit for me to mow.  Some days, he will just say no.  The point is that we present our requests to him, no matter the size.

2 comments:

Julee Turner said...

I LOVE this post! It made me smile and it was so true! I feel silly sometimes praying for little things but I love God doesn't think the are small! Thanks for reminding us of that!

Jennifer said...

Great post! It is so immature of us to assume God doesn't care about the little details and have the faith that he can take care of those things, too.

I have a single friends who prays over her lawn mower EVERYTIME she mows her yard. She has a really hard time starting it (push mower) so she prays over it and it starts. :)

Post a Comment