4/15/10

Is confidence biblical?

I like to write. I think I'm pretty good at it. But what are you thinking about me now that I have said this about myself? Wow, Evan, what a conceited thing to say. You actually don't write very well at all, you just think you do. In fact, now that you have said that, and I know you think you are some great writer, I don't think I'll read your blog anymore. Yes, it does sound like a conceited thing to say. But hear me out.

Think of the best golfers, olympic athletes or musicians in the world. How do they think of themselves? Yes, most of the greats are humble on camera, but if you were able to get into their heads when they're doing what they're famous for, you would see very little self-doubt. If there were, they wouldn't be so great.

Seriously Evan? Now you're comparing your writing to the talent of an olympic athlete!?


If you haven't stopped reading by now, thank you. Let me explain further. At some point in the lives of those great athletes and musicians, they didn't know they were great. They just had to believe that they could be. It is in that moment (maybe in a minute, maybe in a year) that they set the path for their lives.

Before Walt Disney created the giant of Disney, he was fired by a newspaper editor because, "he lacked imagination and had no good ideas." He ended up starting other businesses, but failed at those too. He eventually went bankrupt.

Thomas Edison's teachers told him that he was "too stupid to learn anything." He was fired from his first two jobs for not being productive enough. Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts before inventing the light bulb. **His failed attempt count is debated, but we do know it was a very high number.

Before Elvis Presley was The King, he was fired by the manager of the Grand Ole Opry after just one performance. He was told, "You ain't going nowhere, son. You ought to go back to driving a truck."

Though they were explicitly told that they wouldn't make it, these men believed in themselves. Before they were great! I've never been told that I "ain't going nowhere." At least not by others. But for the longest time, I told myself that lie. Do you tell yourself that lie? I don't mean to equate "going somewhere" with fame. To me, "going somewhere" is confidence. But how can we be confident in our abilities without sounding conceited? We do this by understanding that God made us with our unique talents and abilities. They aren't our own. We didn't give ourselves our own talents. We are "fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 139:14). God doesn't make junk. To doubt yourself is to doubt God.

I want to encourage you. Think of something you have always wanted to do, but fear or self-doubt has held you back. Now, imagine what your life would be like if you actually did it. Or at least tried to do it. If you fail, so what? Walt Disney failed. Elvis failed. Thomas Edison failed!

4 comments:

Jace said...

Do you think God believes in us? :)

Anonymous said...

It's true that God doesn't make junk, that God made us very good; but it is also true that we are fallen--every aspect of our being is corrupted by sin. This doesn't mean that we can't do great things (through the power of the Spirit) but it does mean that God has to work in us and through us in order for us to become acceptable to him.

Evan Bell said...

Good thoughts.

Evan Bell said...

Jace, I talked to God this morning. He said he believes in you.

Post a Comment