5/5/10

Are you a stand-up worshiper?

Why are these people standing? I would hope that each of them stood from their seats to express themselves in worship by holding their hands high and closing their eyes. But what really goes on in the minds of people that stand up to worship?

Where does the urge to stand begin? I have noticed that most often the tug begins during a powerful chorus line. And anyone who is not standing while others are on their feet is left with a choice to make. Do I stand because I am feeling it the same way they are or do I stand because everyone else is standing?

I know this is true because I have experienced it in church. In fact, I experience it every Sunday during the "worship" part of the service. We can talk about what the definition of worship is later. For now, let's focus on the standing. I stand because everyone else is standing - just being honest. Sometimes I see a few people in the front standing and I will stand early because I know it's just one of those songs that's going to get people on their feet. I am so relieved when the song leader asks us to "stand as we sing," because it takes the pressure off of me to make that dreadful decision.

I think the devil whispers to me in church. He says, "Okay, this is what I want you to do. Instead of listening to the words of the song and how they should remind you of God's glory, worry about what people will think of you if you don't stand while others are. And if you don't stand one Sunday, you should feel guilty, or just weird."

I'm not knocking stand-up worshipers. If you feel it, stand! Notice I'm not posting about criers. I can tear up pretty easily during a sermon. You tell me a story of someone with cancer who is making a difference for Christ through attitude and mentoring and any other thing you would think a person with cancer wouldn't be up to doing, I'll cry. That doesn't mean everyone else should be crying.

I don't have much of a conclusion on these stand-up worshipers. I guess I have more of a question. Does it make me a bad person if I don't feel the urge to stand while singing? Does it make me even worse when I stand only because others are standing?

0 comments:

Post a Comment