6/9/10

Audio that speaks to you, wherever you are.

If you haven't stumbled onto the glorious world of audiobooks, you should try it.  If it's a book produced by Audible.com, "Audio that speaks to you, wherever you are" is the first thing you'll hear before the book begins.  I love hearing that sentence because it means I have found a good book to listen to.  My commute to work takes about 25 minutes one way.  From work to school is another 30 minutes.  You don't realize how much time you spend in your car until you can measure it with books that are 5-6 hours long. 

So far, this summer, I have already read three audiobooks - A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Don Miller; On Writing Well by William Zinsser; and Lord of the Flies by William Golding.  If you don't have much time to sit down and read, audiobooks are the way to go because you can read them anywhere. 

I've got to warn you, though.  What you listen to will shape how you think.  When I read Million Miles, all I could think of was how to tell a better story with my life.  What can I do that would make good memories and build character.  When I read On Writing Well, I thought about writing about anything and everything.  Definitely a must-read for wannabe writers.  And when I read Lord of the Flies, everytime I saw a little boy on the street, I wondered if he was capable of killing a wild bore or murdering someone. 

I've realized that that effect on how we think is true of anything we put into our minds, even if we don't realize it.  The music we listen to, the news we watch, the friends we have.  They all have some part in shaping our moral and spiritual compass.  That said, if you haven't already, try an audiobook. 

Got any good book suggestions? 

3 comments:

Megon said...

I check in on your sisters blog from time to time and I read one day when she was talking about your blog...so I'm here and enjoying how God is using you to share! Keep it up!

Griffin said...

Great post...I am reading "Writing With Power" by Peter Elbow...physically reading. I would recommend the book highly. :)

Evan Bell said...

Thanks Griffin. I'm going to have to read that one. It looks good!

Post a Comment