7/16/10

Witnessing . . . Chick-fil-a-style

Periodically in a Christian's life, we feel the need to share our faith with others that we think need to hear it.  The whole idea is fairly presumptuous, but with the right motives, telling someone about Christ is a great thing.  Some Christians go a little overboard, trying to talk Jesus with people that may already be Christians.  On the other hand, there are those (like myself) who are Christian introverts.  Christian personalities are not consistent with general personalities.  The most vibrant extrovert can be introverted when it comes to telling someone about Jesus.  This personality talk is probably something I've made up to make myself feel better about not sharing my faith as much as I should.  "As much as I should."  As I said, we feel like we should share our faith.  Most of us would call that a form of conviction.  I've a friend who can shed a new light on what it means to be convicted.  Check out his post - The Holy Spirit is Not Your Personal Prosecutor.
Regardless of what we call it, the feeling is there.  Most likely because we have a duty to tell people about Christ (Matt. 28:16-20).  And for most of us, that is a fairly uncomfortable duty.  But as I've mentioned before, and I think most would agree, we should not be limited to a one-on-one come-to-Jesus conversation with someone.

I spoke with a Chick-fil-a employee a few months back about their catering services.  We invited a speaker to come talk to the law students about the possibility that God may have called us to be lawyers.  He works for the Christian Legal Society, so we wanted to impress him with Chick-fil-a.  After learning about each type of dipping sauce, I felt like I knew the employee well enough to ask him something a little more personal.  I didn't come right out and ask if he was a Christian, but I did ask if there was any mention of God or the Bible during the hiring/training process of Chick-fil-a.  He quickly replied that God is kept out of all things at Chick-fil-a.  I can't remember his reasons, though I'm sure it had something to do with employment law.  But that news surprised me.  Chick-fil-a is known as the Christian fast food restaurant. 

We continued our discussion about faith and business.  I found out that he was a Christian.  He was excited to tell me how it all works at Chick-fil-a.  He said that although God was never mentioned, the training is soaked with principles and values of Christianity.  He said that new employees are often being witnessed to without even realizing it.  And it shows.  I can't speak for your local Chick-fil-a restaurant (unless you're from Little Rock), but I always feel very satisfied with their service.  Last week, I was sitting down for lunch and an employee came by and asked me if I'd like a refill.  That's never happened to me in any other fast food restaurant. 

This may seem less applicable to our lives because Chick-fil-a is limited, legally.  But it is a good reminder that our Christian ideals and teachings can impact others by the way we interact with them.  And not always by what we say.  Of course, this method of witnessing should not completely replace good ol' fashion Bible thumpin'. 

2 comments:

Joshua Rogers said...

Hey buddy, thanks for the link! I think our willingness (or lack thereof) to share Christ has a lot to do with our personalities and our desire to be liked. I grew up with a reputation for being a bit of a endearingly annoying bomb thrower (who was the son of an endearingly annoying bomb thrower), so sharing something nuclear like my faith comes more naturally. It's expected - I mean, I even expect it. Now my buddy Zack grew up with a reputation for being agreeable and easy to be around, so I think his identity is a little more rooted in keeping his mouth shut. Either way, it's a struggle for both of us to know when the Spirit is speaking to us, because we're so reliant on what we've always known.

Evan Bell said...

Hey Joshua, thanks for weighing in. I would be in the keeping my mouth shut group. Satan does well by telling me that I'm just going to annoy or offend someone.

Post a Comment