8/6/10

The Veil of Christianity

The most interesting thing about children is that they live in a world of complete emotional honesty.  When they're mad, they huff.  When they're sad, they pout.  When they're hurt, they cry.  A child will never leave you guessing. 

Meet Brandon.  I got to hang out with this little guy for a few days while Rachel's parents were keeping him for some friends.  He is the most honest human being I've ever been around. 

When he was thirsty, he would point to that sippy cup he's holding and say, "Uhh!"  And when he needed to go to the bathroom, he just went - right in his diaper.  He was easy to be around because he wasn't worried about what I thought of him.  He was just Brandon. 

But as he grows up, he will slowly become more aware of his poopy diapers and his innocence.  He will begin to wonder what people are thinking about him.  He will no longer grunt when he's thirsty or use the bathroom wherever he wants. 

This awareness of self will amplify if he becomes a Christian.  Because then, he will have the Christian name to live up to.  And that's what gets us all.

I enjoy a glass of red wine at dinner, or a Corona.  But I won't drink in public because I don't want someone who might be hindered by it to see me, even if it's just one drink.  (I should probably speak to some of the readers who might question my beliefs on alcohol.  I'm open for a discussion on that via e-mail). 

I still won't have a drink in public, mainly due to what Paul teaches in Romans 14.  But there are other things (vices, sins, marriage troubles) that Christians feel like they must hide to keep their Christian image up.  This is destructive behavior.  More importantly, it could hinder your prayers.  James 5:16 tells us to confess our sins to each other and to pray for each other so that we may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. 

Somewhere along the way, we form this idea that if we are a Christian, we should seem holy at all times.  And yes, that is an obvious aspiration. But we should also be honest, and human.  Because that's what the lost need - someone they can relate to, not some high priest who looks down on them.

5 comments:

The Wades said...

Great topic!! Should be on the cover of NY Times...in my opinion this is the very reason why so many Christians end up being called hypocrites. It was good seeing you last week!

Joshua Rogers said...

I like this post. I have a question though: What do you mean by "More importantly, it could hinder your prayers"? How do you link that with James 5:16?

Evan Bell said...

Thanks for the kind words. It was good to see you guys, too.

Evan Bell said...

Joshua:

Oh, the irony.

I write a post about being human, being real with your mistakes, and then immediately after, I'm given the opportunity to do just that. I have to tell you, I misspoke on that reference to James. In my head, I was thinking of what is said in 1 Peter 3:7 ("so that your prayers will not be hindered").

I had a plan to respond to your comment with something I would make up of how the verse in James is connected, all to protect my Christian name. But then God slapped me upside the head with my own post.

Thanks for pointing that out, Joshua. And I apologize for the misrepresentation.

Joshua Rogers said...

I think I may like your reply comment as much as I liked the article. Thanks for the clarification!

Post a Comment