11/24/10

I'm Too Young To Lead

One of Satan's biggest lies is that we are too young to lead. Most of what our leadership role requires us to do is not complex; we've just never done it before. And our lack of experience keeps us from leading.

When Rachel and I got married, I knew that she expected me to be the leader in our home. The thought frightened me for two reasons: (1) I had no idea what that meant; and (2) my youth did not lend to much experience.  It still doesn't. But over the past year and a half, I have learned that, to God, age is an afterthought.
Of the many excuses we make to remain passive in leading our wives, our youth seems to be the most prevalent. But God knows how we think. He knew that we would point to our youth and inexperience to justify our lack of initiative in relationships. Paul addresses this timidity by encouraging Timothy to not "let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."

Being a leader requires an ever-changing shift in mindset - a shift toward embracing responsibility and being intentional. It can be overwhelming. The fear of leadership develops in our minds long before we're in a position to lead. I can identify with young Ralph from William Golding's Lord of the Flies when he began to understand the enormous struggles of being "chief":
The trouble was, if you were a chief, you had to think, you had to be wise. And then the occassion slipped by so that you had to grab at a decision. This made you think because thought was a valuable thing that got results. 
We may not have been able to communicate our thoughts about leadership so clearly, but even as boys, we understood its complexity.

But now that we cannot hide behind our youth, what's the next move? We must search for opportunities to lead, and dive in face first.

The final post in this series will break away from the platitudes and discuss practical ideas for leading in the home.

This is the second of three posts on marital leadership. I am speaking directly to married men, however, wives, I'm speaking for you, so please correct, add, or add emphasis!

2 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Joshua Rogers said...

Good stuff, Evan.

Post a Comment