6/9/11

Are You Awkward Around Christianity?

If I were a Christian living just after Jesus died, I'd be one that didn't want to spread the word to the Gentiles. Not because I'd believe the gift didn't extend to them. But because it would be less burdensome to make disciples out of the Jews. Though they may not have been "Christians," they would  at least be familiar with and believe in God. It's much easier to talk to people about Christianity when they have a base.

I've found that I have more courage to talk with someone about my faith when I've been given some indicator that they are, at the very least, semi-religious. It happened to me the other day. I was in the car with a coworker. After a few seconds, I realized that KLOVE was playing on the radio, and immediately I said, "it's good to be working with a fellow believer." And the discussion began.

See how easy that was? I worked up enough courage to talk to a Christian about my Christian faith. The world needs more Christians as brave as me.

But seriously, if we're called to "go and make disciples of all nations," why am I so scared to do it? Why do I get so awkward when I even think about mentioning the God who has saved me from eternal suffering? Am I alone in this?

Talking to people about Jesus has become what awkward Christians do. Cool Christians don't want other people to think they're not cool, so they don't even try. I'm in that camp. I want people to think I'm cool, so I witness by behaving in public. I justify that mindset by telling myself that I can have just as much impact by being a good person around others, and by waiting for the right time. After all, I don't want to turn people away. And that may be true. But when I look at the New Testament church, I see that Peter and the rest of the disciples made the right time. They didn't wait for someone to ask about Jesus. It was urgent to them, and important enough to die for.

Are you awkward around Christianity? Or is it just me?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very awkward about it. I have gotten less awkward the more I've learned about Christ and the gravity of what He has done for us, but I still feel suuuper awkward talking about it around people who don't understand the vastness of His sacrifice and/or don't accept it as reality. Trust me, you're not alone. I do the same thing, I try to be on my best behavior to set a good example...rather than outwardly voicing my beliefs. I feel that in this day and age, we are more likely to spread Christ's teachings by living it out rather than preaching it. That's just my humble opinion.

Post a Comment